Vision: We envision a sustainable and loving world in which all live equally with justice, dignity and compassion.
Mission: To foster a more just, equitable, and sustainable world through advocacy, education, support and service in collaboration with the wider community.
In 2021, the PUUC Social Justice Committee formed subcommittees for each of its three areas of focus
Monthly plate collections
With area community suppers (including our own) shut down due to the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, a Task Force recommended that the service fund portion of the endowment match the plate collections taken each month as “Special Collections.” The membership agreed to a match of up to 5% annually.
Collections in 2021-2022:
September 2021 – Minister's Confidential Fund
October 2021 – End 68 Hours of Hunger
November 2021 – Shelter from the Storm/MATS
December 2021 – Peterborough Food Pantry
January 2022 – UU Action NH
February 2022 – Project Home
March 2022 – NH ACLU
April 2022 – To be determined (Committee will work on a way to get matching funds to your donations to some of the participating groups of the Monadnock Hunger Walk)
May 2022 – Black Heritage Trail
June 2022 – 350 NH
In 2021, the PUUC Social Justice Committee participated in:
- Weekly BLM Vigils, held every Saturday from 12 – 1 alongside roads in Peterborough.
- Climate action thru supporting “PEA” Peterborough Energy Action; 350NH.org, discussed and began research into reducing plastics …
- Immigration and Refugee action thru supporting Keene’s Project Home, the ACLU-NH, UU Action Network NH’s Bail and Bond Fund …
- Food Security thru supporting local food banks, area shelters, Community Meals to Go (a Town of Peterborough initiative), the Monadnock Hunger Walk …
- Vote Forward letter writing to increase voter turnout in contested states.
- Amnesty International letter writing to urge release of political prisoners world wide.
- A member of the committee donated “We Believe” lawn signs which church members picked up and put outside their houses.
Joy Flemming, Chair; Lane Fisher, Minister; Susan Copley, Jane Eckert, Anne Fischer, David Flemming, Julie Flood Page, Jonathan Gourlay, Anne Huberman, Joel Huberman, Tim Riley, John Richards, Dwight Schenk, Susan Stanbury, Mary Vallier-Kaplan, Elsa Voelcker, Chase Wilson Roeper